Also known as the Pointe de Galle, the original Galle Fort Lighthouse happened to be the very first light station to be built on the island. It was constructed in the year 1848 by the British to guide their ships into the harbour. The original structure which stood at 80 feet was located at a site approximately 100 feet from the existing lighthouse.
The current lighthouse designed by renowned architect Geoffrey Bawa was constructed in 1939. Towering to a height of 87 feet on a strategic location at the southern end of the promontory, it can be found at the Point Utrecht Bastion on the ramparts of the Galle Fort. From this position, it affords undisturbed views of the sweeping seascape allowing any ships coming in to see its light.